Friday, July 18, 2008

Dancing Through the Summer

Summer has begun and we are filling the days with FUN! We started the vacation dancing, with Ashlan and Elli's ballet recitals. Ashlan's was a dance with Winnie the Pooh and Elli twirled to princess music...very fun! (Ashlan's recital was on a Sunday, so we went to a dress rehearsal.)













































































Just two days after school got out Ashlan had surgery to remove her adenoids and tonsils. We recently found out both were enlarged and the large adenoids were blocking her sinus airflow. It has been so sad because she has not been able to breathe or smell or sleep well. The surgery went so well, and I feel deeply grateful for the blessings that come from prayer and priesthood blessings. Ashlan was such a trooper and had an amazing recovery. Her snoring no longer rocks the house! Below is a picture of the darling quilt they had for her on her bed at the surgery center. This little quilt was waiting for her when we arrived...they give one to each of the children, they get to keep it with them during their stay, and then take it home with them. It was so sweet to see it over her in the big, white hospital bed, and it made it all seem so much less sterile. She took that little quilt with her everywhere she went for days. So, message to Relief Society Women...the quilts you tie pay off!!




















That same weekend Matt and I snuck away for a night out with wonderful friends to see the play Wicked. It was fabulous, of course, and we continue to get the songs stuck in our heads. We followed the play with dessert at the Chocolate Bar- how can you go wrong! Thank you Amy & Ryan, and Eliza & Brad, for a super fun evening and your friendships that bless our lives.




































And as for Fourth of July festivities, we spent the holiday camping with 5 other families in Allegheny State Park. We are so grateful for good friends! It was beautiful and lush and green, and we loved escaping into nature, sitting at the campfire, exploring and hanging out at the lake. They had a fireworks show over the lake on July 3rd (we sat on top of the car for the show.) I LOVE fireworks! Matt and I joke that the only arguments we ever have are over me wanting him to drive faster to get to the fireworks! We came home on July 5th and, lucky for us, our little town of Clarence was having their Independence Day Celebration that day, so we had a traditional 4th of July BBQ and headed to the town park for fireworks, again. It was very fun, and we are reminded of our deep gratitude for this amazing free land in which we are blessed to live.








































































Tip of the Week:


I love entertaining and decorating, and all things party....so I thought I would add a "tip of the week" each time I make a post, just for fun! The tips may be something I've seen somewhere and tried, or an idea I've created.
This week's tip is a simple way to name that place at the table! You can do this with any color or font- here I made it more fun for a birthday party, a black and white cursive would add a formal touch.

14 comments:

amy said...

i love your tip idea! so creative. also, i could have done without that picture of us girls. i think you know why!

Wendy said...

Yea! Another post! You are such a Martha, my friend. Glad to see life in New York is treating you well, but we sure miss you here in Mass!

Cris, Jon, Austin and Ethan said...

I just found your blog on Jeff and Nikki's blog. Y'all look great and your girls are gorgeous..of course. anyway,we just moved back to Texas Jon started his business here. It's nice to be home again. We love you.

Hays Family Blog said...

Our daughter Olivia had to have her tonsils and adenoids out last fall. It's amazing how quickly kids recover from those procedures. Olivia sleeps much better now - what a blessing it was!

Valerie said...

Your friend Ryan went to school with Greg!!! How funny to see that two of Greg's good friends are also good friends!

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

I like your tip. You have cute ideas. when are you coming to SF?

The Favorite said...

Such a beautiful dancer and I love the pictures from camping! I'll send you the ones at the fireworks soon. I also think the tip idea is wonderful. You are SO amazing!!

Jenny said...

remember how the entire family is getting together for vacation soon... except for me (and todd and ryder)? oh that's sad. reading your blog and seeing the pictures of the girls is making me even more sad about it. but it's okay... at least you and i get a few days to play afterwards. i can't wait to see you!

p.s. ashlan and elli look so big and grown up. when did that happen?

Nicole said...

It's my favorite! I miss you guys! The girls look so grown up! I can't wait to see you again:)

Jessica said...

So cute!! It was so fun to talk to you. Can't wait to see you!

Unknown said...

Love the tip idea!
You are so good at that stuff!
Loved talking to you and seeing you yesterday!
Have such a great trip!

Preeces said...

Hey,
So I found your blog from Carolyn's, and can I just say, #1 you are goregous, & #2 I love to entertain too, maybe you could teach me some things!

Hyde Family said...

We sure had fun with you this weekend. It was fun to read your blog again it has been so long since I have had a normal routine. Your girls look so cute in their dance outfits.

Jaynann said...

Looks like you guys had a fun summer! Your family is so beautiful. Wasn't Wicked amazing. I had no idea what to expect and I came out laughing and balling at the same time.

So fun to see what you are up to.